Monday 1 February 2016

Time for an update

I haven't posted since last May, so here are a few highlights from the last eight months:-


My Amorphophallus konjac flowered for the first time.


 
The spike stood about 1m tall & was in peak condition for 3 to 4 days. This plant is in a 250mm squat pot.
Although the flowers have a reputation for an unpleasant odour, the scent was slight & only present during maximum flowering.
Here is a close up of the tiny flowers:-
 
 
I  have about 20 plants of this clone available in 200mm pots for $20 each. The larger plants are 2 years away from flowering & can be grown inside or outdoors.
 
I was more impressed when Sauromatum venosum decided to bloom:- 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This flower was decidedly weird & unexpected. The spathe is brightly coloured & its top tapers to a long tail.
For smell it beats the Konjac hands down, producing a strong odour of fresh cow dung, sharp but not too disgusting. Note the swarming flies on the flower.
I have two plants of this oddity available in 200mm pots @ $20 each.
 
Fiddle leaf figs, (Ficus lyrata), have been popular & expensive:-
 
 
I decided to try air layering, a propagation technique new to me. The results were outstanding:-
 
 
Four stems of my largest fig were layered & left for five weeks before unwrapping & removal.
The photo below shows the detached branches & root masses that formed:-
 
 
My Hydrangeas put on a good show until a run of hot days put paid to the flowers. Most of these were grown from cuttings & unknown until they flowered, with a few surprises:-
 



 
I presently have plenty of Turmeric in stock, available in 140, 200 & 250mm pots for $10, $20 & $30 respectively:-
 
 
These are growing rapidly in our currently tropical climate & have put on considerably more growth in the 2 weeks since this photo was taken. 
 
A new Salvia popped up from seed with distinct orange-red bracts. I decided to name it "Red Raver" as the parent was the purple "Mulberry Madness" from Graham Rowe:-
 

 
Exclusive to "The Niche" Nursery.
 
Lots of Peruvian Ground Apple / Yacon plants available:-
 
 
200mm pots    $10
 
 
140mm pots    $5
Great for your intestinal flora & for diabetics.
 
I have also been selling some nice Nepenthes hybrids on eBay:-



More will be available in the future as I have around 15 to repot & grow on.
 
The bamboo sale will be on again in autumn with plenty of stock of most varieties at good prices, with a few new species never offered before in small numbers.
 
All the best,
Russell.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment